You may be asked to enter a 4-digit online payment code to confirm your identity when you make a payment online. You'll need to enter it before entering the code we sent you by text or as an automated voice recording.
The secure authentication code is:
- personal, so don’t share it with anyone. Remember: we’ll never ask you for this code by phone, email or any other means
- permanent, sent by text or or as an automated voice recording at the point of payment
- available in the HSBC France mobile app and on your online banking ‘Ma Banque en ligne’
- customisable, change it to a more memorable number in your HSBC France mobile app or online banking ‘Ma Banque en ligne’
- shared with all your bank cards issued by HSBC in France, whether they’re linked to personal, business or corporate accounts(1)
Note: this code is only for online payments, and is different from your card PIN.
This extra security measure is to comply with the Second Directive on Payment Services (‘DSP2’- PDF in French language only).
As more people shop online, fraud is increasing. That's why we've strengthened our security to help ensure your online card payments are safe and secure.
How to use pay online using your card
1. Enter your card details.
2. Enter your online payment code.
3. Enter your one time passcode we sent you by text or voicemail.
Log on to online banking with your HSBC Secure Key
- if you’ve never logged on to your HSBC France mobile app or online banking ‘Ma banque en ligne’, follow the simple steps to get full secure access with HSBC Secure Key.
- if you have trouble with your online card payments, see our FAQs below or call 0 810 246 810 (Service €0.09 per call + call price. Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00; Saturday 09:00-17:30)(2).
Frequently asked questions
Your Online Payments Code
Where can I find my Online Payments Code?
I’ve forgotten my Online Payments Code, what can I do?
Do I have to pay if I forget my code and need it to be resent?
I lost the letter with my Online Payments Code, what should I do?
Your HSBC cards and accounts
We have a card for our joint account, do we both get an Online Payments Code?
I have several HSBC bank cards, will I need multiple Online Payments Codes?
I’m not the cardholder, can I still get an Online Payments Code?
I’ve cancelled one of my cards. Will it affect my Online Payments Code?
I had to block my card, will this affect my Online Payments Code?
Your Online Payments Code features
How long will my Online Payments Code last?
How do I customise my Online Payments Code?
Your online payments
Why do some merchants not offer 3D Secure authentication?
How do I activate online payments?
How do I make an online payment with a Visa card or Mastercard?
Do I need my Online Payments Code for Apple Pay transactions?
Updating your personal details
What should I do if my details change?
The new authentication measures
Why do I need a validation code for my online payments?
What are the principles of strong authentication?
What is 3D Secure technology?
What to do if you suspect fraud
I was the victim of online fraud, what should I do?
- What if you get a text message or a call from a voice server with a payment confirmation code?
Contact your relationship manager or call 0 810 246 810 (Service €0.09 per call + call price. Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00; Saturday 09:00-17:30)(2) as it could be a fraud attempt. Note the one-time code received by SMS or an automated voice recording.
- if you see an online payment on your account that wasn’t made by you, tell us straight away. Contact your relationship manager or call 0 810 24 68 10 (Service €0.09 per call + call price. Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00; Saturday 09:00-17:30)(2)
- learn best way to protect your payments, download the guide Les Clés de la Banque (PDF in French language only).
Can I share my Online Payments Code with someone else?
No, your bank card codes, including your Online Payments Code, are strictly personal. Don’t share them with anyone.
Does the same security apply if I’m a business customer?
I only have an Elys Affaires card, how do I get my Online Payments Code?
Your Online Payments Code has been sent by post. In addition, if you have online banking access, you can also find it and customise it in your HSBC France mobile app or online banking ‘Ma banque en ligne’.
I have a Visa Business or Gold Business card, how can I get my Online Payments Code?
- if you only have a Visa Business or Visa Gold Business card, your Online Payments Code has been sent to you by post
- if you also have any personal HSBC cards, you can use the same Online Payments Code for all your cards. You can find it in your HSBC France mobile app or online banking ‘Ma banque en ligne’
I have a Carte Entreprise (Euro Corporate Card), will I get an Online Payments Code?
The Cartes Entreprise (Euro Corporate Cards) are not affected by this change.
If you only have a Carte Entreprise, you don’t need an Online Payments Code.
As a result, if you have other cards issued by HSBC in France, you won’t be asked for your Online Payments Code when you make online payments with your Carte Entreprise (Euro Corporate Card).